Santiago Transportation Green Zone (STGZ) (Chile)


General Information of the NAMA

General Information
Country Chile
National implementing entity (NAMA owner) Municipality of Santiago
Development stage Implementation
International partners UK Government
Total costs USD 17.7 million
Duration 2015-2017
Scope of the NAMA
Type of NAMA Supported (with unilateral elements)
Type of action Strategy or Plan
Scope of action Sub-national
Type of approach Shift-Improve
Transport mode Bus, Other public transport, Car, Walking, Cycling

The main objective is to propose a preliminary implementation plan for the Transport Green Zone in Santiago (STGZ) and apply for national and international funds for implementing this Green Zone in the Municipality of Santiago.

The NAMA includes 4 initiatives:  1) Promotion of Zero and Low Emission Vehicles (ZLEV) in taxi fleets, municipality fleet and charging stations; 2) Incorporation of low carbon buses into the public transportation system in Santiago; 3) Promotion of non-motorised vehicle use, including the implementation of 6 km of new bicycle lanes, a pilot program for a bicycle sharing system, 1 connectivity solution for two existing bicycle lanes and bike signs in two areas within the STGZ; and 4) Traffic re-design and traffic management with new pedestrian and semi-pedestrian streets, exclusive lanes for ZLEV buses and bicycle parking.

The Santiago Metropolitan Region is the most populated area in Chile with close to 38% of Chile’s population. The development and implementation of this NAMA will help to reduce the financial barriers that have hindered sustainable projects in the past and potentially create a model for innovative transport policies in Chile. The TGZ has a vast potential for redefining the urban transport model with a new focus on integrated and sustainable transport, provides new ways of reducing GHG emissions and local pollutants, and is highly replicable in other cities.

To date, first steps covering all four initiatives have been implemented already.

Mitigation potential

Mitigation impact
Expected mitigation impact 13.8 KtCO2eq in 10 years

The STGZ itself only considers two square kilometres of intervention in Santiago, and would reduce 13,8 KtCO2eq over 10 years.

A 10-year scaling scenario considering the replacement of 15% of the taxi fleet in Santiago and 15% of Transantiago’s bus fleet, both in full electric technology, has a reduction potential of 1.43 MtCO2eq.

Additionally,  reductions could increase up to 4.03 MtCO2eq if the Green Zones are expanded to the whole Metropolitan Region.

Financing

Costs
Total costs USD 17.7 million
Funder
Costs for preparation
Costs for implementation

Economic evaluation of the STGZ indicates that total NAMA cost will be USD 17.7 million, where 70 % should apply for international funds (NAMA funds) and the other 30 % will come from local stakeholders like Municipality of Santiago, Chilean Government and private sector.

MRV

Concept:

Each of the initiatives will have its own MRV system with qualitative and quantitative parameters to measure.

Indicators:

Quantitative:

  • Funds granted to the initiative
  • Funds granted by local government and private sector
  • Kilometres travelled by vehicle/bus
  • Fuel/Electricity consumption per vehicle
  • Maintenance cost per vehicle
  • Number of bicycles replacing motorbikes
  • Number of bicycle trips
  • Modal shift from vehicle to bicycle mode
  • Average trip distance by bicycle
  • Accident rate
  • Bicycle flow measurement
  • Bicycle lots occupation increment
  • Bicycle lots occupancy rotation

Qualitative:

  • Capacities related to operation/maintenance of new technologies, bicycle use.
  • Improvement on the citizens acknowledgement of the positive health benefits with the incorporation of ZLEV from the economical and environmentally point of view, and the positive effects of non-motorised modes integration as sustainable transport modes
  • More bicycle infrastructure in the STGZ limits (inflation points, workshops, parking in shops/ services, etc)
  • Potential to achieve private investment to replicate initiatives in other cities
  • Annual surveys on the perception of the quality of service after the application of the initiatives

Co-benefits

Ecological:

  • Local emissions reduction

Societal:

  • Less exposure to pollutants and noise
  • Better accessibility and greater equity
  • Greater appreciation of public spaces and particularly for the STGZ that has many historic spots
  • More pleasant, sustainable and safe environment

Economic:

  • Less congestion
  • Reduction in fuel/energy consumption
  • Reduction of fleet operational costs
  • Incentive for the implementation of other sustainable projects in the STGZ